Develops sourcing strategy for specified spend categories to achieve key organizational and departmental goals related to cost savings, process improvement, standardization, waste reduction and other pertinent supply chain initiatives. Manages and acts as the main point of contract between primary vendors in designated categories and the hospital system. Develops and maintains collaborative internal relationships with clinical contacts and administrative staff within the healthcare system to ensure effective, results-oriented project outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Legal, Economics, Supply Chain Management, hospital administration
- No professional certifications required
- 5 or more years of experience in supply chain/materials management
- Master’s degree preferred
- Proficient using enterprise resource planning information system software (e.g. Lawson, Contracting Administration
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of consumable categories including Group Purchasing Organizations (GPO)
- Strong knowledge of system-wide contract administration and maintenance
- Proven ability to lead teams, plan, manage, and track projects
- Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively in written, oral, and presentation format across organizational levels
- Proven organizational skills
- Health care background in Supply Chain and contract management with clinical experience and basic knowledge of medical-surgical supplies, diagnostic testing, etc. strongly preferred
- Stellar negotiation skills required to pursue cost savings discussions with vendors as well as convince internal stakeholder of optimal decision for Health Care Organization (HCO)
- Strong analytical skills demonstrating ability to share cost benefit analysis, scenario-based savings options, incorporating industry benchmarking, among other decision points
- Critical thinking skills required to interpret both qualitative and quantitative impacts of potential purchase activity are required
- Advanced Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word skills and ability to learn new software programs are required
- Highly specialized category management knowledge and understanding in assigned category
- Develops, leads, and executes all Sourcing strategies under category responsibility, that includes but is not limited to, non-Physician Preference Items (PPI) consumables contracts and price lists applying to both Group Purchasing Organizations (GPO) and local agreements (category) to ensure optimal pricing.
- Negotiates independent local contracts where value can be added beyond GPO capacity or where GPO contract does not exist.
- Develops and maintains a contracting / bidding calendar for designated categories.
- Manages fully executed contracts and pricing with internal supply chain team for electronic storage in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Manages and executes Request for Proposal/ Request for Quote (RFP/RFQ) process at contract expirations by category when industry and benchmark data show apparent savings opportunity.
- Reviews and negotiates terms & conditions to ensure that business terms are in the best interest of the hospital.
- Brings forward cost savings ideas for review when applicable. Ideas can include but are not limited to product replacements, new technology, standardization projects, consolidation of vendors, etc.
- Collaborates with departments, specifically supply chain operations to monitor and report on compliance of implemented changes in products, services, and processes.
- Leverages third party consultants and software access to enhance negotiating ability - whether it is related to pulling analytics, research information, contracted staff work, benchmarking etc. (examples include: ERP software, GPO website, ECRI).
- Ensures pricing and delivery terms of category contracts are accurate and aligned with Purchasing and Accounts Payable requirements.
- The primary liaison for the GPO.
- Responsible for manufacturer transition to another manufacturer. Includes providing assistance for errors in manufacturer numbers.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate contract files.
- Accountable for monthly reporting of actual savings results from category contract negotiations.
- Utilizes system technologies to generate data validation reviews to ensure accuracy of Supply Chain product formulary and contract repository for consumables.