The Director of Transportation Management will build and develop the shipping and logistics Center of Excellence (CoE) within the MBU, building key fleet management capabilities from vehicle acquisition, fuel and safety programs, fleet tracking, compliance management, maintenance, route management etc., working with different legal entities to enable seamless operation.
The role will require a balance between managing day to day front line operations and maintenance as well as balancing analytical strategy surrounding productivity, asset optimization, and asset utilization. This role will have extensive cross functional responsibility, the ability to effectively communicate and influence others indirectly is critical as well as working in a matrix environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and drive adoption of unified fleet management software/ load boards across all legal entities
- Drive strict compliance of all local, state and federal regulations such as weight restrictions, permits, hazardous materials, and hours of service
- Manage Company DOT compliance within operational area to ensure the safe operation of commercial motor vehicles including; drug and alcohol testing, driver log management, truck inspections, medical certificates, licensing and violations
- Maintain awareness of Drivers movements through regular communication and to manage and adapt to delays and/or issues on the road
- Coordinate business with Drivers and customers (both internal and external) to optimize revenue, reduce cost, minimize transit time, and effectively meet customer needs
- Ensure that equipment (trucks, trailers etc.,) are utilized efficiently and that all equipment is accounted for including any available equipment not currently in use.
- Identify tasks being performed and categorize/ ensure they are accurately recorded in internal system
- Coordinate changes made to operational plan (in real time) with Drivers and customers to ensure all stakeholders are aware of updates
- Oversee all communications related to specialty load boards ensuring that customers and drivers are made aware of relevant developments
- Proactively identify operational issues wherever possible and implement a plan of action to correct and continue operations
- Respond to unforeseeable issues with Drivers, routes, customers, and equipment by developing and implementing a plan of action to correct and continue operations
- Develop processes for in-sourcing vs. outsourcing routes
- Negotiate and manage transportation rates with third party carriers
- Manage processes for towing, clean-up, truck and trailer repairs, load coordination and reporting
- Collaborate with all stakeholders (customer service, payroll clerks, dispatch, and management) to address questions, formulate operational plans, address and resolve problems, and process requests for service or equipment.
- Determine necessity, arrange for, and authorize repairs of equipment in order to restore service and schedules.
- Develop, monitor and maintain zone/book rates to provide rate quotes to customers
- Utilize zone/book rates with knowledge of available capacity in specific lanes to solicit additional business from customers to maximize lane density
- Implement continuous improvement processes designated to achieve operational excellence through performance metrics (KPIs) and ensure employees are coached, trained, measured, and managed to execute these processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent combination of school and experience
· 5+ years of management/ supervisory experience working in a domestic 3PL or truck brokerage
· Experience with freight carriers, and thorough knowledge of DOT regulations
· Proven commitment to safety and quality within the workplace
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office required, ERP experience preferred)/ experience with telematics and TMS
· Demonstrated leadership skills handling a variety of production and employee related issues including: hiring, training, coaching, disciplinary actions, etc.
· Excellent mathematical skills